Sunday, July 12, 2015

Time Flies - July 5-12, 2015

As it grows closer to the end of our mission the time seems to fly by faster, we are busier, and often very tired at the end of each long day...   

Monday we got up early and drove to Keyser, West Virginia, a small town about 35 miles from Petersburg.  I say "small town" but it is bigger and nicer than Petersburg.  The draw for us was a Denny's restaurant where we went for breakfast (so good) and a much nicer Wal-Mart where we did our shopping for the week.  Also picked up a few items of clothing at a department store called "Pebbles".  It was a beautiful drive there, but on the way back we went through a major storm.  They happen frequently around here, sudden quick storms.  Keeps everything green and beautiful, also very humid.  Also Monday we
worked at the Food Pantry and went to a Family Home Evening group.  It was Wayne's turn to do the lesson.  He had us sing four or five Primary songs as he accompanied on his guitar, then we talked about the doctrine and lessons we could learn from each song. Everyone seemed to enjoy it.  We took our frequent passenger JoAnn - she was a "lost sheep" we found recently and has attended faithfully since, as long as we give her a ride.  She is sweet and made me a necklace and earrings in appreciation of the times we travel the four miles out to pick her up for church and activities.   
Necklace & earrings JoAnn made for me

JoAnn, under the rainbow

Doe and fawns we saw on the way home from FHE, close to our apartment complex
Tuesday we had to make another trip to Berryville, this time for personal interviews with our new mission president.  We enjoyed sitting down and chatting with him, he is a bit overwhelmed, poor guy!  And we probably won't see him again before we leave.  We got home just in time for me to help out at the nursing home and Wayne to go on visits with the HP group leader.  Wednesday we helped at the Food Pantry again then drove up to see our friends John and Audrey.  They fixed a nice barbecue lunch for us.  Then back to
the church to help with genealogy.  Thursday I helped Wanda W. with her genealogy all afternoon, then we helped out at the nursing home. As soon as we were done there we drove 12 miles to Moorefield, picked up Sonja (ward missionary), and went up to the home of Katja (new member), Dwayne, and family.  While Wayne taught a new member lesson to Katja,  Sonja and I taught their 12-year-old daughter Lisa.  She is preparing for baptism and is doing so well.  We got home late.

Friday was our last day at the Food Pantry and I turned our key in to our coordinator when we were finished.  She cried.  It's been fun, but time to let the ward take it back over. We made several good visits then headed out of town, first to visit Carol, way up in the hills, then on to Wardensville (42 miles) for our last visit with good friends Deb and Larry F (she is inactive, he is not a member, but they are awesome).  They took us to a car race several months ago, this time we took them out to dinner at a cute little restaurant in Wardensville. We had a good time, but got home late again.

Saturday, busy day.  Wayne left early for a ward service project - helping a young couple move.  Then we had our ward lawn party/potluck picnic at the church.  It went very well.  The weather was good (no rain) and we had close to 70 people attend.  Several less-actives and non-members.  The food and the music were great.  Funny thing happened.  Sonja and I had taught four lessons to Lisa and asked her to pray about baptism.  At the picnic I asked her what she thought about it, she said she was ready and wanted to be baptized, she asked if she could be today (Sunday)!  We said she had to have a few more lessons, and a baptismal interview, but it is now all set up for next Saturday night, the 18th.  We are excited...

Today Wayne and I had to speak in church.  Glad to have that over with.  Sonja and I taught another lesson to Lisa.  We finally got an appointment set up for Sonja with the Stake President for her temple recommend interview (we had been trying for a couple weeks).  Only problem was that it had to be at his home, in the country outside the small town of Huntly, Virginia - about 80 miles from here.  We had told Sonja we would take her, so we spent the afternoon on a lovely drive.  It was beautiful and his house and acreage were so pretty.  Now we can try to arrange a trip to the temple with Sonja, hopefully on August 1st, the day before we leave for home.  If all goes according to plan (ha) we will have a baptism next week, the following week go to the temple with Mariah (BYU-I student home on break) for her first time and for her marriage, then her reception.  Then back to the temple with Sonja the next week.  What a great way to end our mission... (Now if the bugs would quit eating on Wayne we'd be all right)

Our topic for our talks today was "Covenants and Ordinances" - I told a story about our dog, Cooter, Wayne talked about Katelyn's trip to Disneyland.  How do you think those stories fit in?  The Petersburg Ward knows a bit about our family...
President Boyd K. Packer once said, “Keep your covenants and you will be safe.  Break them and you will not.”

Some pesky West Virginia bugs find Elder Orton quite tasty.
Sister Orton evidently is not so sweet and is not bothered...

8-year-old Chloe made Elder Orton this bracelet

Ward Service project

Ward Picnic, 11 Jun 2015

Stake President Randall Bartlett's lovely home near Huntly, VA

Interesting rock wall

No comments:

Post a Comment